If you work as a freelancer or contractor, the odds are pretty solid that you will – at one time or another – deal with a skeezy client. Thankfully, most skeeze-cadets throw up a few red flags at the earliest stages of the client/contractor relationship.
Here are a few of the red flags that I’ve dealt with:
- Payment issues.
- Inappropriate callouts.
- Swapping professional experience for monetary compensation.
- Frequent contract term changes.
- Making you work for free.
- Disproportionately harsh penalties.
- Lack of common courtesy.
- Requiring more committed time than there is work for you to do.