So far, I’ve been stridently avoiding “poking the bear” on the issue of Neil deGrasse Tyson’s reboot of Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey. Despite the fact that I’m enjoying it – and am learning a ton – I know that some very smart men and women have taken umbrage at the shows depictions of the relationship between the Catholic church and science.
What’s all the fuss about?
If you Google “Catholic Cosmos”, you’ll get a pretty good sample of what people are saying. For example, the Catholic League’s Bill Donohue really really doesn’t like Seth MacFarlane and most people can agree that the show was a little ham-fisted in its treatment of Giordano Bruno. However, I’ve still been tuning in, week after week, to learn more about the universe.
How did I get sucked in?
I’ve stuck with Cosmos for a few reasons:
- It’s a really pretty TV show. What can I say? I’m a sucker for shiny and pretty TV. Cosmos clearly had an enormous budget and used it wisely.
- I’ve learned more about random stuff I never even knew that I wanted to know about from the show. For example, I didn’t know what a quantum leap was until last night. Did I know that I wanted to know about quantum leaps before last night? Absolutely not.
- I like Neil deGrasse Tyson. I can’t help it. He’s funny and has a pleasant voice.
- As someone who never took a physics class and never really excelled in science, understanding what goes on out in space wasn’t on my radar before. Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey has shown me that the universe is so much bigger and grander than I ever knew or thought.
- At the risk of sounding completely silly, watching Cosmos has reaffirmed my faith in the power of God. Who else could have created such a vast and beautiful universe?
Are you watching Cosmos? What do you think?
Here’s What I Wore Sunday:
Sorry about the awkward arms and terrible lighting. I forgot to
make ask my husband to take a good picture while the sun was still out. My mother says I looked like “someone clopping around 1940s Britain, but in a good way.”
Not sure what I think about that.
What I Wore Sunday is a link-up hosted by the fine folks at Fine Linen and Purple. You can check out what other people wore Sunday here.